Hindi Entertainment News  
Jacqueline inaugurates MidasTouch Acting and Dance Studio
 
Bollywood diva and one of his former students, Jacqueline Fernandes inaugurated Vinod Tharani’s acting and dance studio, MidasTouch. Not surprisingly she was full of praises, “Vinod is the first and only Hindi teacher since the time I entered the industry. He has taught me the craft of acting. He helped me come out of my shell. Hopefully one day I will act in a film directed by him. He loves cinema and since he is an actor his approach towards everything is unique. He is the best acting coach around, “she said. Vinod has been a guiding force to many other actors as well. He helped Deepika Padukone improve her diction for her movie, Om Shanti Om. His other clients include Bruna Abdullah, TV actors Vinay Rohraa and Nikhil Chadha. He has also worked in TV shows like Ekta's Kahaani Humaarey Mahaabhaarat Ki, CID and Kaajal. Vinod has seven years of experience in coaching and believes there’s a lot he can share about the craft. “I want to share the minor technicalities involved in acting. These are essential to build the required mental strength for success in this industry. I want to teach the correct approach towards intensive acting,” he said. Vinod loves acting and his passion for it comes out clearly in his work. When asked how he intends to mentor his students he said, “ I am very passionate about my acting so when I start teaching it automatically comes from within. I observe things with thorough conviction. I am a trained actor so I give my students a practical intepretation of how to perform.” Vinod is very particular about the students he chooses to coach. “ I have opened a studio for maximum 10 students and I am looking for students who are passionate about this art and are not here for the glamour or money. I agree it’s a part of the profession but approach towards art should be loyal.” So, what has he to say about Jacqueline the ‘student’? “She is a fast learner and a very good student. It was really nice of her to inaugurate my acting institute.”
 
Friday, September 16, 2011
 
Mumbai underbelly at TIFF
 
The main attraction at the Toronto Film Festival's Mavericks section featuring film professionals talking about their work was Francis Ford Coppola, rock singer Neil Young, Deepa Mehta and Salman Rushdie's screen adaptation of Midnight's Children. A packed hall with people standing on the sides welcomed Mehta and Rushdie on stage with festival co-director Cameron Bailey as moderator. What followed was a racy dialogue that sparkled with ideas, wit and confidence about transforming Rushdie's celebrated novel into film. The audience clearly felt rewarded. A ten minute clip of the film that will release by October 2012, demonstrated its epic quality. Rushdie called it 'History handcuffed by pathos', while Deepa felt it was a 'love letter to india'. “It is a very long novel,” stated Rushdie while discussing the novel's adaptation into a film script. Rushdie claimed that he is now distanced enough to look at the novel objectively. “I am not 23 now,” said the author who wrote Midnight's Children at that very age. Both were hugely enthusiastic about the actors they finally got on board. The huge cast includes Satya Bhabha, Anupam Kher, Shabana Azmi, Seema Biswas, Shahana Goswami, Shreya Saran, Soha Ali Khan, Samrat Chakrabarti, Rahul Bose, Rajat Kapoor, Kulbhushan Kharbanda and Darsheel Safary. Speaking about his experience in indiawhile on a star hunt earlier this year, Rushdie said, “Its strange that stars in india do not appreciate the concept of an exceptional ensemble cast - they think in terms of only the lead role and not beyond.” While Midnight's Children was celebrated at TIFF, a small film, Lucky, set in South Africa and directed by an Indian psychiatrist hailing from UK, Avie Luthra, did not go unnoticed either. The story about a 10-year-old Zulu orphan boy Lucky and an elderly South Indian widow Padma upholds human kindness and faith amidst a racist society.
 
Friday, September 16, 2011
 
Pimp it up
 
Q: What's worse than a brain-dead comedy with no story, plot, production or star value that is designed to elicit laughs via bawdy humour? A: An “issue-based film” that looks to capitalise on absurd violence, item numbers by Sambhavna Seth, and 80’s-inspired balaatkaar scenes featuring Sayaji Shinde. The issue at hand is noteworthy. In a north Indian village, for generations in the name of tradition, men have been forcing their daughters and sisters into prostitution. ‘Forcing’ may not be the right word, because everyone - women included - are party to this, and with time it has become a way of life. Every man in the village is a pimp. The film doesn’t tell you where, but basic googling will point you straight to Natpura, UP, where such practice is indeed followed. Spending five minutes on your computer reading up will effect a far darker reality than this assault-on-the-senses called Rivaaz. Instead of attempting realistic cinema, Rivaaz is a mashup of the worst of Bollywood or even Bhojiwood (that’s what Bhojipuri cinema is calling itself nowadays). They could’ve opted for the docu-drama, they could’ve made it grim, honest, and done away with the commercial elements. We saw a similar theme - hard-hitting yet poetic - tackled in Bol, and it was beautiful. However, given the Rivaaz crew’s technical prowess they would probably muck that up too. Rivaaz’s story is total twaddle and the only line that registers from all the repetitive dialogue is ‘Bawli ho gayi hai kya?’ (because it is said so many times!) Other lines and scenes are written merely to shock. A father continually addresses his daughter as ‘maal’ and an angry young man poisons his ailing grandmother because she is no longer of ‘use’. These same elements may have been taken humourlessly if there was a shred of seriousness in the writing or directing but Rivaaz just comes across as a bizzaro circus of sexual freaks. Why on earth would discerning actors of the calibre of Deepti Naval choose to discredit themselves in this way? How did the director convince a financer to pump in the crores required to make this load? Who is the target audience of this confused serious-turned-senseless movie? Important questions. The answers? Your guesses are as good as mine. You’d be a total bawli/bawla to watch this one.
 
Friday, September 16, 2011
 
Vidya gets snipped
 
A few raunchy scenes in the trailer of the actress’ forthcoming film The Dirty Picture were cut to meet the censor board's demands Ekta Kapoor's attempts at getting bolder with her films have just been thwarted. The Censor Board has objected to the second trailer of her upcoming film The Dirty Picture, directed by Milan Luthria. The officials felt that the trailer in question is too explicit and thus not fit for theatrical or television exhibition, unless it is given an A certificate. A source revealed, "The producers wanted a U/A for the trailer. They wanted the promo to be shown with as many films as possible starting with Pankaj Kapur's Mausam, which is expected to hit the theatres next week." The censors had objected to various scenes in the trailer and the producers had to make quite a few changes to it. "A lovemaking scene between Vidya Balan and Naseeruddin Shah in the car has been removed. Certain abusive words in Shah’s dialogue have been muted," revealed the source and quickly added, "But the entire un-cut trailer is still available on the web." When contacted, Balaji Motion Pictures’ CEO, Tanuj Garg said, "The Censor Board felt that a few scenes and words in the trailer might not be appropriate for television and for people watching a U/A film in cinemas. On the other hand, we were clear that we needed a U/A. Hence, we complied with their requests."
 
Friday, September 16, 2011
 
Striking up a fire
 
Randeep Hooda, who was taking a flight out from Delhi to Mumbai, got into an altercation with a security official at the Delhi Airport over a match-box, on Thursday. A source informed that during security check, Randeep was found in possession of a match-box, which angered the official. Reportedly, the security official blamed the actor's mistake on his celebrity status. An eyewitness explained. "The entire cast of Saheb Biwi Aur Gangster was in Delhi for the promotion of the film. They were taking the 10 pm flight back to Mumbai. Randeep was with Jimmy Sheirgill and Mahi Gill, when he was at the security check. The official there found a match box in his pocket and got upset with him. Randeep explained that he is a smoker and accidentally had the match-box in his pocket. However, the security guard retorted that just because Randeep is a celebrity, he thought he could get away with the match-box." The source told Mumbai Mirror that the security official did not stop there. He then told Randeep to remove his shoes and threatened to take him to the police station. "After the official made that statement, Randeep got angry and dared him to take him to the police station. The actor firmly said that he had not committed any crime and was not afraid to take the matter to the law force," added the source. After a heated verbal spat between the two, the source said another security official joined in. Apparently, both the officials refused to hand Randeep his boarding pass, which escalated the matter even further. Both parties hurled verbal abuses at each other. Finally, a senior official stepped-in and took control of the situation. He reportedly escorted Randeep to his flight. When contacted, Randeep Hooda confirmed, "It was an unfortunate and uncalled for incident. The proper authorities were informed and they have reprimanded the officer involved. I'm happy and grateful to them for taking such prompt action."
 
Friday, September 16, 2011
 
We know what you did last night
 
Aamir Khan found a new friend in his arch rival Shah Rukh Khan’s closest buddy Karan Johar and Shahid Kapoor spent some quality time with Anushka Sharma at Imran Khan’s success party on Thursday night While Anushka Sharma and Shahid Kapoor were spotted spending a lot of time together at Imran Khan’s dual success party of Delhi Belly and Mere Brother Ki Dulhan, it was the budding of another friendship that got everyone whispering. Reportedly, Karan Johar spent most of the night in the company of Aamir Khan, his best friend SRK’s rival. And as with most Bollywood bashes, the cops came knocking at Imran’s Pali Hill residence at 3 am to ask the host to turn down the music. But it was the new best friends, Karan and Aamir, who pacified the law men and made sure that nothing dampened the spirit of the party. With Aamir and Karan visibly bonding, the industry has been abuzz with speculation about the two collaborating professionally. The rumour doing the rounds is that Karan plans to cast Aamir in one of his forthcoming productions. A source told Mumbai Mirror, "Karan was seen huddled in a serious, private conversation with Aamir, almost all evening. Karan and Aamir were so deep in discussion that they didn’t realize it was 4 am, when they left. In fact, the two along with Deepika were among the last guests to leave." Even though all eyes were on Karan and Aamir, what also garnered attention was the absence of many on the guest list - namely Ranbir Kapoor and Imran’s leading ladies in Delly Belly and Mere Brother Ki Dulhan. Shernaz Tresurywallah and Poorna Jagannthan of Delhi Belly as well as Katrina Kaif of Mere Brother Ki Dulhan were all abroad for one reason or another. While the leading ladies of the two films being celebrated were not present, Imran’s other female co-stars, Sonam and Deepika , attended the bash. And of course Deepika didn’t forget to bring along Mallya Jr.
 
Friday, September 16, 2011
 
Bikini killer’s wife in BB 5
 
Charles Shobraj’s spouse Nihita Biswas will be in indiby end of September to be a part of the show. On July 30, 2010, Charles Shobhraj nicknamed the bikini killer was ordered a life imprisonment sentence by the Supreme Court of Nepal. And now, a year later, his 22-year-old wife Nihita Biswas is all set to take her first step towards stardom. Thanks to the reality television show Bigg Boss 5. Nihita has already confirmed her presence on the show known for its controversial content and will be arriving in india by the end of September. The show goes on air in October. A source told Mumbai Mirror, “The show depicts the lives of a handful of celebrities put together under one roof. Their stay at the house is captured on camera. Nihita, who is the wife of one of the most dreaded serial killers in the world will obviously add to the show’s attraction. The channel got in touch with har last week and she has signed on for the show.” Earlier, Monica Bedi who was the girlfriend of dreaded gangster Abu Salem was also a part of Bigg Boss. The season grabbed a lot of eyeballs due to the controversial presence of the actress. In fact, Monica had also claimed on the show that this was her process of leaving the past behind and moving on. Interestingly, the moment Monica was out of the show, she started getting film offers. Nihita’s life happens to be as interesting. A source revealed, “Charles was arrested in Nepal and was serving a sentence for killing a Canadian tourist in Kathmandu in 1975. Nihita had come to meet him and his interpreter. Charles and Nihita fell in love. He married her in October 2008 on the occasion of Bada Dashami in jail. The following day, Nepalese jail authorities dismissed all claims of their marriage. However, both Charles and Nihita claimed that they are married.” A source from the channel said, “In the past too, the show has had controversial celebrities. With names like Nihita this season, looks like this will also be a controversial season.” Ashvini Yardi, the programming head of the channel said, “We’re in the process of finalising contestants. And do not comment on speculations.”
 
Friday, September 16, 2011
 
Spotted: Bips at Bandra court
 
In December 2003, her housemaid Jaya Gurav robbed Bipasha Basu off Rs 26000 cash. The actress had complained to the police who had solved the case within 12 hours. However, after almost seven long years, the case went to court. And so did Ms Bipasha Basu, the complainant. Wearing a blue and black checkered shirt with indigo denims, the actress tried to camouflage her superstar looks behind big sunglasses and bigger bodyguards. However, she couldn’t escape our photographer Sachin Haralkar’s lenses. Interestingly, Bipasha was made to stand at the same witness box where her ex-boyfriend John Abraham stood a few months back. John was there for a hearing of the 2006 bike accident case.
 
Friday, September 16, 2011
 
Dutt’s shootout
 
Not too happy with his friend-turned-foe Sanjay Gupta's directorial comeback, Sanjubaba sends feelers to lead actor Anil Kapoor asking him to opt out of Shootout At Wadala Sanjay Gupta is all set to return to direction after a gap of five years. While Gupta is all excited about taking Ekta Kapoor’s Shootout franchise ahead with John Abraham and Anil Kapoor, his friend-turned-foe Sanjay Dutt is not. According to sources, Dutt has been sending Anil Kapoor feelers asking the latter actor not to be part of the film Shootout At Wadala. Shootout At Wadala, Gupta’s comeback vehicle is a prequel to the Apoorva Lakhia directed Shootout At Lokhandwala that released in 2007. Anil Kapoor has been roped in to play encounter specialist Isaque Bagwan in the film alongside John Abraham’s portrayal of the dreaded gangster Manya Surve. And Dutt is not happy with this. A source told Mumbai Mirror, “Dutt has not told Anil directly but he has sent indirect feelers to the actor. Anil, obviously understands where Dutt’s sentiments come from.” Dutt and Gupta, who had been close friends once upon a time, fell out during the making of Shootout of Lokhandwala over some payment issues. However, Anil Kapoor has remained unaffected by Dutt According to the industry insiders, apparently Sanjay had also asked John not to do Gupta’s film. However, that was a while back when John was still contemplating signing the film. Seems like Sanjay Dutt’s next targets could be Vidya Balan and Nana Patekar, who Gupta is interested in roping in for the very film. Despite repeated attempts, Anil Kapoor and Sanjay Dutt remained unavailable for comment. However, Dharam Oberoi, the CEO of Dutt’s production house said, india is a free country. Why would Dutt ask Anil not to do Gupta’s film? In fact, when John asked Dutt about the film, it was Dutt who asked him to go ahead and do it. Also, Dutt and John are good friends.”
 
Friday, September 16, 2011
 
Sanjay Dutt, Sachin Tendulkar come together for cause
 
Bollywood actors Sanjay Dutt, Govinda and batting maestro are coming together to help raise funds for NDTV's "Support My School", campaign which aims at the betterment of water, sanitation and infrastructural provisions for schools across India. The channel will help raise funds through a 12-hour Live Telethon across its network channels Sunday. "This campaign is very close to my heart because we all know how important it is to support education and provide a proper platform. It is disappointing, though a reality, to see that girls don’t get to school in rural areas because of lack of facilities….,” Sachin, the campaign's brand ambassador, said in a statement. Bollywood celebrities have also joined in to create awareness and raise funds for the noble cause. While Sanjay will host the Telethon, Govinda and Shabbir Ahluwalia would entertain audiences with their performances. Also joining the list are veteran actor Boman Irani, musician Shankar Mahadevan and child star Darsheel Safary. “NDTV is proud to be associated with this campaign. We aim to raise funds for at least a 100 schools and more. We would like every one of our viewers to get involved and participate,” said Smeeta Chakrabarti, CEO, NDTV Lifestyle.
 
Thursday, September 15, 2011
 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 

PREVIOUS     NEXT

Results 1 - 20 of 104 Pages